Monday, December 21, 2009

Football Maranvillians

A backfield of Jack Kemp, Dan Towler, and Gale Sayers may have been the most Free Darko football backfield ever. Tom over at Residual Prolixity tipped me off to a couple of posts over at the Pro-football Reference blog. Heh, it's almost fitting that none of these guys played after I was three years old or so and I have no memory of watching them.

I'm glad that Sayers is on the list. As a kid, I read I Am Third (which was the basis for Brian's Song.) I loved to read and I loved sports, so I gobbled it up. Bill Cosby wrote the introduction to that particular edition. I may be misremembering it, but The Cos commented on how exciting Sayers was to watch and even said that he saw one play were he split in two to avoid being tackled. Hyperbole, of course, but I still remember that description to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment